Christ the Healer, Duccio.
Chapter on Asceticism from The Oxford Handbook of Mystical Theology (2017).
Original meaning of ascesis; the early Church. Mt. 6:1-21 as ascetical model and exhortation.
Repentance and asceticism. Ongoing conversion and spiritual progress. Conversatio/conversio; the difficult “art of accurate repentance”.
3. FROM ASCETICISM to CONTEMPLATION
Ascetical practice and contemplative vision. Lectio divina - a key to ascetical practice.
4. CLASSICAL and PATRISTIC MODELS of THE SOUL,VIRTUE and VICE
Classical and patristic models of the soul and the sources of virtue and vice.
5. MONASTIC MODELS of VIRTUE and VICE
The eight deadly thoughts. Stairways and Instruments in The Master and Benedict.
5b. POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY: CHARACTER STRENGTHS and VIRTUES
Modern psychology attempts to understand and implement classical and Christian approaches to virtue and vice
6. PSYCHIATRIC and NEUROLOGICAL DEFINITIONS of ADDICTION
Psychological, Psychiatric, and Pharmacological models of Addiction.
7. THE PHARMACOLOGY and PSYCHOLOGY of “DRUGS of DEPENDENCE”
Withdrawal-symptoms: alcohol, opiates, cocaine. Mild withdrawal symptoms: nicotine, caffeine.
8. CONTROVERSIES in ADDICTION MEDICINE and PSYCHOLOGY.
“Addiction” in the absence of physiological dependence and/or withdrawal: Exercise addiction; food addiction; gambling addiction; internet-use addiction; pornography addiction; sexual addiction
9. TREATMENT-STRATEGIES for OVERCOMING CHEMICAL ADDICTIONS and SUCCESS RATES.
Medical-pharmacological treatment; Psychological therapies (individual and group).
The “12-Step Model” and Alcoholics Anonymous
10. TWELVE-STEP TREATMENT PROGRAMS and TWELVE-STEP “SPIRITUALITY”
The History of Alcoholics Anonymous. The Twelve Steps: group meetings and sponsors. Follow-up and long-term commitment to a Twelve -Step program.
11. FORMS of ADDICTION and SUCCESS of TREATMENT in 12-STEP PROGRAMS
Successful: Alcoholics Anonymous; Narcotics Anonymous. Less-successful 12-Step programs: Overeaters Anonymous; Mental Health Anonymous. Twelve -Step programs and “Sexual Addictions:”; Sex-Addicts Anonymous. Controversial “Twelve -Step-inspired” programs for treatment of dysphoric sexual attraction: “Courage.”
12. ADDICTION and ASCETICISM: OVERLAP and THERAPEUTIC IMPLICATIONS
When is the “disease” model of addiction most useful: i.e. which addictions are primarily physiological? When is the classical model of virtue and vice more applicable: i.e.: when is the issue primarily moral rather than medical? Implications for pastoral counseling and spiritual guidance: when to refer; programs and models that are widely-regarded as helpful and proven.
This Webpage was created for a workshop held at Saint Andrew's Abbey, Valyermo, California in 2003....x.... ’ “”.